Planning a modification
This advice covers project approvals, easement acquisition, incentive scheme payments and contractual agreements.
Modification Processes Agreement (MPA)
An MPA sets out the scope of work, charge rates, and the terms under which Transgrid will complete the work. A separate or amended MPA is required for each stage of the process.
Our standard MPA is available upon request from firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Line Modification team can advise on the design and arrangement of modifications to existing assets. Advice will vary depending on factors including:
- geographical location
- proximity of existing Transgrid transmission lines, switching stations or substations
- criticality to the network of the transmission line/s that you are seeking to modify
- our required reliability standards (i.e. n, n-1 etc)
- geological nature of the site/s identified for construction of any required asset.
Proposed modifications must not reduce network reliability or security.
We cannot accept modification works proposals from external providers concerning our regulated transmission network.
Easement and property issues
Any network modification that requires changes to the existing freehold land or easements arrangements will require the same or greater property rights to be granted to Transgrid.
The obligation to acquire and transfer these new property rights rests with the party requesting the modification.
The following applies to transmission line relocations:
- Easements for Transgrid owned lines are to be negotiated and paid for by the customer.
- Easements may be registered in Transgrid’s name once all necessary agreements are in place. Further detail can be found in our Easement Guide.
- Suitable laydown and preconstruction areas for transmission lines
(These requirements are indicative only and not intended to be exhaustive.)
There may be different property requirements if your network modification involves switching stations, substations and/or communications network assets. These will be discussed on a project specific basis.